Frequently Asked Questions

What are the rules regarding parking in Flushing?
Unless otherwise posted, parking is allowed on the streets except between the hours of 2:00 a.m. to 6:00 a.m.  The hours of parking are posted at each of the entrances to the City.  There are also some additional rules regarding parking, including:

  • No parking or storage of vehicle for more than 24 hours on the street.
  • No parking facing traffic.
  • No parking on a sidewalk.
  • No parking blocking a driveway.
  • No parking in alley.
  • No parking on parkway or lawn extension.
  • No parking within an intersection.
  • No parking within 15 feet of a fire hydrant.
  • No double parking.
  • No parking displaying advertising or displaying for sale signs.
  • No parking selling merchandise.
  • No parking displaying vehicle for sale.
  • No parking in a handicapped zone.
Where can I store my motor home?
In all residential districts, open storage of recreational vehicles, trailers, and equipment, including but not limited to motor homes, travel trailers, and watercraft, shall be prohibited in the front yard.  Storage shall be in the side or rear yard only.  No such vehicle shall be occupied while stored anywhere on the premises.  The connection of utilities to the stored motor homes and travel trailers shall be allowed only for the purposes of maintenance for the unit.
Are there rules on storing cars?
No person in charge or control of any premises, whether as owner, tenant, occupant, lessee, or otherwise, primarily used or zoned for residential purposes, or in a commercial districts not zoned for such use, shall allow any partially dismantled, nonoperating, wrecked, junk or discarded vehicle to remain on such premises longer than fourteen (14) days.  Any vehicle which does not posses a current year's state license plate shall be presumed to be in violation of this chapter.
What are the rules on noise?
It shall be unlawful for any person to unreasonably make, continue, or cause to be made or continued any noise disturbance.  Common complaints involve:

Radios, television sets, musical instruments and similar devices.  Use of these devices is prohibited if it creates a noise disturbance across a real property boundary, or for more than fifty (50) feet from the device when operated on a public right of way or in a motor vehicle.

Animals and birds are in violation if they frequently, or for continued duration, howl, bark, meow, squawk, or make other noise which creates a noise disturbance across a residential real property boundary.

Explosives, firearms, and similar devices are prohibited if they cause a noise disturbance across a real property boundary or in a public space or right of way.
What constitutes blight?
No person in the city shall store, accumulate, or permit the storage or accumulation of junk unless such junk is for the purposes of collection and disposal.  It is also prohibited to store, accumulate building materials for longer than sixty (60) days.  The storage of firewood is limited to an orderly stack no higher than four (4) feet, a width no greater than eight (8) feet and a length no greater than sixteen (16) feet.  The storage of firewood is restricted to the rear yard or an interior side yard.  In addition to these ordinances, there are zoning requirements that structures must comply with.
Are there any requirements on yard upkeep?
It shall be the duty of every person who owns and land within the corporate limits of the City to cut, destroy, or remove from the land all noxious or poisonous weeks or grass exceeding a height of six (6) inches grown thereon, dead grass and brush thereon, or any refuse or debris standing or lying thereon.
How can I report a crime?
If you have any kind of an emergency, call 9-1-1.  The City of Flushing Police Department is dispatched by Genesee County Central Dispatch.  All 9-1-1 calls placed within the City of Flushing go directly to GCCD and officers are dispatched according to established protocols.  During business hours, persons wishing to report a non-emergency incident can call (810) 659-3119.  Persons wishing to speak to a Flushing Police Officer after hours can call 9-1-1, even if it is not an emergency
How can I report a violation of City Ordinance?
Many of the City's ordinances are enforced by the Police Department.  Parking complaints, noise violations, and many blight violations can be handled by calling (810) 659-3119 during normal business hours, or 9-1-1 after hours.  Complaints relating to zoning violations or building codes can call (810) 659-5665 during normal business hours.