Water Service Line Verification Project
I am writing to inform you about an upcoming project that the Department of Public Works will be undertaking in the City of Flushing. The State of Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy (EGLE) has mandated water service line
verifications throughout the city, and we will be conducting this essential work starting in December 2023 and continuing through the summer of 2024.
- Verification Process: Our crews will be conducting water service line verifications inside the right-of-way throughout the city. This involves excavating the water service shut-off valve and visually confirming the material type connecting home plumbing to the City of Flushing water main.
- Scope of Work: The materials we will be verifying include copper, plastic, galvanized, lead, or other, and the information will be documented for compliance.
- Excavation Method: Hydro-excavation will be employed for soil removal to minimize disruption. Once verification is complete, crews will fill the hole with sand and return in the spring of 2024 to add topsoil and grass seed.
- Home Entry: Some homes may require entry to physically verify the water service. This can be done on the same day as excavation or by scheduling an appointment with The City of Flushing at 810-659-5665.
- Project Start: December 2023
- Completion: Summer of 2024
- Contact: For questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me, Jeffrey Clark, Director of Public Works, at 810-659-5665.
Inconvenience and Mandate:
We understand that this project may cause some inconvenience, but please be aware that these verifications are mandated by the State of Michigan to ensure the safety and integrity of our water supply.
For additional details about this program, please visit Michigan.gov/EGLE.
We appreciate your understanding and cooperation as we work to comply with these state mandates. Your safety and the quality of our water supply are our top priorities.
Director of Public Works
City of Flushing